Friday, October 23, 2009

Extreme Story Makeover

Even though I know that having a baby changes everything I really didn’t expect Cailin’s birth to alter the storyline of our favorite fairy tales – but it did. I am not a person that can feed a baby and read a book at the same time, so since Braden wanted me to read to him I started telling stories from memory while Cailin ate. At first it bothered Braden when I didn’t remember the stories perfectly but then he decided that changing the stories was a great idea – only HE needed to be in control. Now he will ask me to tell him the story of the Three Little Javelinas (Arizona’s version of the Three Little Pigs) and every few minutes he will redirect what happens. Sometimes the Javelinas go their separate ways to build their houses. Other times they all go together. Sometimes the Coyote chases them but other times it’s just the wind that knocks their houses down. When the coyote IS in the story, sometimes he is conquered by the Javelinas and vanishes in a puff of smoke – other times he decides to be good at the end (like Darth Vader) and they all sit around singing and playing the guitar. Even though it can be a little tiring having to think of ways to weave his ideas into the story it has become a really fun thing we share that I hope I never forget.

1 comment:

Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

Love it! That's great that Braden is using his imagination, and fun that you play along. Adam tells Brynn a bedtime story every night that he makes up on the spot(she picks the topic)...I know she will treasure those memories someday. :0)

By the way, my dad has a copy of that book. Someone gave it to him, because he goes bow hunting for wild hogs(javelinas) in Arizona & Florida...don't tell Braden!