Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ways in Which We Excel

For many years I have been teased about the spreadsheets I use to make my life easier. For example - if you get a Christmas letter from us - and presumably you do or you wouldn't waste your time reading this blog - your name, appropriate salutation and address are stored neatly in an Excel spreadsheet I update every year. If you have ever eaten my "Beef Stroganoff for Engineers" (turns out engineers would make great chefs!) the recipe is saved as a Word document on my PC and is also listed on a recipe spreadsheet under the categories of beef, crockpot and Sunday meals. Laugh if you want to, but every time I take something that I just can't seem to get done properly and apply a spreadsheet to it - it works for us! Baby names are no exception. Aaron and I did the rounds when naming the dogs. The pre-spreadsheet method we came up with was that I would suggest several names, Aaron would say no to them all and I would be in a bad mood for a while. Then we would start this process over again. When it came to naming Braden I didn't want us to go thru the same aggravating steps so I came up with the spreadsheet solution. I copy an entire website of names to a spreadsheet. I go thru and remove the names I like the least and then email the remainder to Aaron. We go back and forth removing names until we come to a name we both like. Since Braden is anxious to have a name for the baby in my tummy we started the process earlier this time - I sent the first draft to Aaron yesterday. It still may take a while before we agree on a single name - but hey - its in a spreadsheet now so I know we will sort it out eventually!

3 comments:

Lyne Family said...

Good luck with the names! My neighbors had a baby girl on Monday, came home from the hospital on Tuesday then finally decided on a name Wednesday evening. My mom was "Girl" on her birth certificate. Not that it makes the naming process any easier, just know that you aren't the only ones. :)

Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

That makes me think how you were on TV early one Black Friday with your gift spreadsheet in hand...hail to the queen of spreadsheets!!

The Lingwalls said...

You and your lists! But you're always on top of things, that's for sure! Have you come up with a name yet?