Saturday, March 21, 2009

Oh Tommy Boy

Even though I work in computers, I wouldn't call myself a techno-geek really. But I had to blog about a few of the gadgets that we have come to love.

The first is TIVO (we have the dish network version). It is so great to be able to watch the shows you like at a time that is convenient to you - and even better - to skip the commercials. The downside is that we are completely out of touch with upcoming movies and world news. (Or maybe that is also an upside with how things seem to be going in the world lately...)

My second technology love is the GPS. We got a TomTom almost 2 years ago. At first it was fun having it take us to places we normally go (like the store) to see if it knew any shortcuts. It did! (Funn how little we know our local area when it comes down to it!) After doing a lot of road trips last year, however, little Tommy jumped from "fun gadget" to integral member of the family. On long trips we could drive until we neecded a break, check for the nearest park and let Braden play for an hour before we took off. At night we could drive until Aaron was tired and then call all of the close hotels for the cheapest price at the last minute. It made traveling so much easier and so much more fun. I thank that Tommy enjoyed it, too...perhaps a little too much. With the new pregnancy, the traveling came to a screeching halt. Tomtom began releasing from the windshield (and plunging to the floor) and inopportune times - a passive-aggressive attempt to get our attention. When that didn't work - I think he became desperate. I came back to the car after running an errand a few weeks ago and TomTom, all of his accessories, and even our milti-charging unit, were gone.

As we contemplate the possibility of replacing him (which model should we get - are there certain models that are a little more loyal?) I can't help remembeing the good times with Tomtom and hoping that he is enjoying his travels - with whichever family has him now!

3 comments:

Chaotic corporate said...

Its a nice good thing. I think I should get the GPS activated in my cellphone when Iam driving alone. I keep losing my way quite often.

Jackee said...

Just be careful, Nat! The scary thing about losing a GPS is that it often has your home address in it since you use it to find the fastest routes. We don't have one, but we have used them in rental cars and they are wonderful!

Becky said...

I can't believe someone stole it! How frustrating! Anyway, I can't recommend one because we haven't taken the plunge and gotten one ourselves yet . . . though it's on the list of things to buy someday!