Saturday, September 26, 2009

Grocery Smarts

Sometime in August I attended a homemaking meeting geared to help everyone save money. Erin Ruy taught us about the grocery smart method. Her husband has been out of work for 6 months and they are still solvent because of savings and pinching their pennies. I asked her how much she spends on groceries each week - $50 maximum - one week she only spent $3!

I love a good challenge so I decided to try to match her. I haven't succeeded even once but I come really close most weeks and am adding to my food storage as I go. I only buy the foods I normally buy (except when a new food is a screaming deal - then we try it) and between the few stores that are close I find most items on sale. (Erin only shops at one store per week.)

What kind of deals have I gotten? Canned beans and corn for 26 cents each (compared to 78 cents each at Sams). $20 of free Kraft foods (though I couldn't find exactly what I wanted and just ended up with a year's supply of Mac 'n Cheese). And on Thursday I got 3 lbs of chicken free at Smiths.

If anyone is interested in know more, please contact me. I would be happy to give you any tips I have found. Or you can go to www.grocerysmarts.com and enter the code g84cer. The website is free. They do recommend that you subscribe to the paper to collect coupons but I have found that if you shop at Smiths the only coupons provided by Grocery Smarts are usually just as good. (Smiths is the only one I have found to consistenly accept the, though. You can also check out deals on www.pinchingyourpennies.com

Happy Saving!

1 comment:

The Lingwalls said...

WOW! You've got to teach me! I'm always at $200 plus when I shop for the week!